Sunday, February 3, 2008

Concrete, concrete everywhere...

My compound is surrounded by a series of high, maze like concrete blast walls which are laid in segments. Along with these are shorter concrete barriers, like you see on the interstate back home, that serve to divide lanes during construction. They add a bleak industrial look to things, and this evening I had a run in with a short barrier, which I lost...

It is amazing how invisible these dull grey obstacles are at night, and I crashed square into one that resulted in me almost tumbling over the other side, just like in a cartoon. The wierd thing was, I walked right into it while my eyes were open and I was looking straight ahead! UGGGHH... I doubled over the barrier and thought for a moment I had broken a rib, especially since I felt so winded...If I had seen myself I would have laughed my ass off.

Almost wished I had my armor on. On my home to my tent (just got to a new camp today), I almost sliced my nose off with the cable stay for for the entry flap ....

I think I will just stay in at night...I was planning to take a shower, but at the rate I am going I would slip and break a leg.

Coming to a new place is always tough. I was getting pretty comfortable at the previous camp, so now it becomes a function of relearning the system and location of things here...Today, I thought of Charlie Sheen's words from Platoon when he comments about being in Vietnam, " I think I made a big mistake coming here."

Just thought it, I don't know. Perhaps I will look at things differently in the daylight.

No comments: